Old 09-03-2009, 07:15   #13
Neil
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Car Window Tinting, A Warning To Drivers

Quote:
What is the UK law on Tinted/Iridium visors?
Any visor with a light transmission rate of less than 50% is deemed to be not UK road legal. A typical dark tint and iridium visor has between 40% to 20% light transmission rates. A standard road legal tinted visor has a 50% transmission rate.

In the latest police guideline report this is the following recommendation to all England, Wales and Northern Ireland forces

“Tinted visors, if used during daylight hours, advice only, if used during the hours of darkness or conditions of reduced visibility consider prosecution using ‘Tintman’ equipment where available.

It is acknowledged that there is much debate about this issue and many variables and anomalies can be applied. Therefore a pragmatic approach is necessary and only in cases where there is an obvious danger should prosecution be considered”

We recently had a hire car while Rhonda's was having some work done to it. It was a Vauxhall Mariva - don't buy one, dreadfull contraption - beside being a naff car it had rear dark windows. In bright sunlight everything looked nice and clear when you looked through them. At night it was like driving a van. When you stopped at a junction and looked through the rear passenger window, or when reversing, you could not see anything. Car head lights were visible but pedestrians were invisible.

I don't think dark windows look good on most cars anyway. Every time I see a car with dark rear windows I assume it is because the driver has ugly kids and is trying to hide them.