View Single Post
Old 14-07-2004, 14:36   #50
Redskin

Unhappy Re: premiership players

McEvilly on a mission
NEW Accrington Stanley signing Lee McEvilly is looking forward to turning friends into foes tonight.

The striker will square up to his former team-mates when the Reds entertain Coca-Cola League Two side Rochdale in their second pre-season friendly at the Interlink Express Stadium (kick-off 7.45pm).

And the 22-year-old is looking forward to building on the good start he made against Burnley on Saturday.

"I thought we played well at the weekend, especially in the first half," said McEvilly, who picked up the man of the match award after the game.

"It was nice to get that, but that's not what these games are about. It's about blending with the players and getting match fit."

He added: "I'm looking forward to the game tonight and seeing the lads again. I'm still in touch with Kevin Townson and Gareth Griffiths but it was just time to move on at the end of last season.

"It should be fun. Accrington have played pre-season friendlies with Rochdale before and they are usually good games.

"But at this stage it's not all about winning. It's just important to get used to kicking the ball and things like that.

"We haven't seen much of the balls yet in pre-season training so it's good to get games under our belts."

Meanwhile, Stanley's hopes of taking two former Premiership players on trial this week appear to have been dashed.

Manager John Coleman was aiming to field ex-Blackburn Rovers, Manchester United and Burnley central defender David May in tonight's friendly, as well as former Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Kevin Pressman.

However, Pressman has been signed by Coca Cola League Championship side Leicester City, while May has not been in touch with the club.

"We asked David to come in and do a couple of days training then play tonight, but he hasn't been back to us," Coleman said.

"It was the same situation with Pressman.

"But we've got quite enough players as it is at the moment."