Thread: education fees
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2009, 16:15   #27
blazey
God Member

Re: education fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Well I know a girl who read chemistry at Jesus College Oxford, who has gone into teaching now, and she recieved no extra help, other than the normal student loan scheme.
How long ago was this?

There are DEFINITELY bursaries available because a lot of my friends are doing it because of that incentive.

I personally see teaching as a profession I would only do after working in a more... experience-developing role in that area, as I think there are enough low quality teachers as it is and I don't think its right that I teach something I've only just learnt myself.

Unless its high school level and lower.

How can you pass on experience when you have none?

Some of my best lecturers at University have a Phd or have been/are practising lawyers. Those that wanted to be lawyers but failed have become lecturers as a last resort and aren't particularly good.

The incentive at Lancaster is that you can lecture whilst studying for your Phd... therefore bringing in a reasonable income and being able to get further qualifications...

I disagree with it but at least they have genuine interest in academia where failed lawyers becoming lecturers because it's the 'next best thing' is a bit... well... you can put a word to that.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote