Thread: Tourism in Accy
View Single Post
Old 15-07-2004, 09:21   #3
Ceejache

Re: Tourism in Accy

My sentiments exactly Doug...short of razing all of Hyndburn to the ground then making a lake in the middle surrounded by massive floral gardens and the worlds biggest rollercoaster planted on top of the coppice (next to the biosphere of course.....) there is NOTHING that can be done.

I agree that we should get back to basics and address the problems that we are currently facing. How could we ever hope to attract tourists when the town centre is a disgrace, little ghetto-type residential areas have sprung up and idiots and bits of kids roam the streets drinking and dropping their detritus all over the streets?

Like you Doug its seems that I am always slagging off Accrington/Hyndburn and HBC's ineptitude but I do for good reason. I love Accrington having been born and bred here, I love the friendliness of the majority of people, its history and of course its football team. I have also lived in places such as Guildford, Leicester and Norwich and have seen by comparison what a dive Accy has become (fair enough I'm comparing to bigger towns and cities but you get my point). If there was some initiative to applaud then I would do so - but unfortunately our council just seem to come up with schemes designed to waste money. Accrington has changed a lot even in my short lifespan and not for the better - I sincerely hope that this decline can be arrested.