View Single Post
Old 22-03-2009, 07:11   #14
entwisi
God Member

Re: Google maps - Streetview now available in major cities

and they aren't hybrids over here. The one I saw was a Peugeot.

and hybrids are the dirtiest cars ever made

the batteries are made from nickel mined in Canada producing more acid rain than all the power stations in the world. Its shipped to Europe for processing then to Japan to be made into a car then shipped all the way back.

then it comes to the actual car itself, how far with a Prius run on battery power alone? I was astounded when A colleague with one told me. 3 MILES!!!
thats all, less if its hilly!

Then you have all these drivers tootling along the motorway at 70mph in them. err, muppets, the leccy bits get turned off at 45mph so you are now using more fuel dragging half a ton of battery around.

Then there is Battery life - 6 years has been quoted and currently there is no facility to recycle them.

green? yeh my backside's greener than one of them things.

Now true green is something that the political parties don't tell you. its far greener to continue using old cars to the end of their working life than to build a shiny new more economical one. Over 75% of emissions in a cars life are from manufacture and decomissioning. running one is negligable. Add LPG and biodiesel to the mix and it gets even better for the old car. when a car becomes past economical to continue then stripping all useable parts to keep others on the road is the true and best form of recycling you can do.

So if you drive a car older than 10 years be smug you are better for teh environment than the hybrid driving loonies!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote