View Single Post
Old 23-03-2009, 11:03   #138
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Multicultural Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
And now we hear that the post-office worker has been transferred on the basis of a petition instigated and compiled by the local muslims.
Let's not forget that this man was an employee.

Whatever his frustrations are it's not his job to decide who is and isn't served in his employer's Post Office.

In my job I dealt with many customers who spoke little or no English. My boss wouldn't have been too happy if I'd have refused to accept their custom.

I guess most of us would be equally angry if on holiday we were refused service in a Post Office, whilst trying to buy stamps, because our Turkish/Greek/French wasn't up to scratch.

As for Mani's comments about Brits working in predominantly Muslim countries. Some countries, Dubai for example, have a liberal policy when it comes to drink, because it benefits their planned tourist industry. Although there was the recent case of two people being imprisoned for public indecency, when they had sex in public at a beach bar.

On the other hand there are countries where alcohol consumption and recreational drugs are severely punished, and there are cases of British workers and/or their offspring facing the severest penalties for breaking the laws of their host countries.

Wherever people chose to live or work, they should abide by the customs and laws of their host countries, or be prepared to face the consequences if they decide they aren't going to show that respect.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote