Thread: Street Names
View Single Post
Old 24-03-2009, 16:34   #77
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Street Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I can hardly forget my next door neighbours in Persia Street. Delighted to hear from him ( and you) give my best to him and Kevin.

This 'tunnel' is a myth. 'Secret tunnels' such as this are said to exist all over the country. They are often associated with monks. Monks would be capable of digging and supporting small tunnels, but not one of a few miles long. In those medieval times monks were revered by society and travelled safely on what passed for roads. I heard the story of this tunnel when I was a lad - believable then but not any more. There's plenty who might believe it was there, but I'm not one of them now. Near where I live there's supposed to be a tunnel under a river. What tunnels there may be in Accrington - there's one close to behind the Red Lion on Abbey St -will be of much more modern construction and likely to have been used for coal or stone - getting, storage or drainage.
Retlaw will probably tell of his excavating this Abbey St/Grange Rd one.
I've already said my piece on the so called tunnels tunnels around Black Abbey St area in another thread on this subject. They NEVER existed.It would have needed ton of explosives to get through the rock under Accrington, and the monks did'nt have any.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote