Thread: Bloody cats
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 19:59   #14
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Bloody cats

I have a big plastic box in which, yesterday, I planted carrot seeds. I put the compost in this box 3 weeks ago and, last weekend, I discovered about half a dozen cat poos in the top of the soil. Right, before you start shouting Bloody Cats! and Shoot Them! etc., I like cats. It was obviously the young fellah (ex-tom) next door, who loves my cat and my garden, who thought I had provided him with an outdoor lavatory. I knew it wasn't our cat as she doesn't "go" outside.

So, I dug out the poos and the surrounding soil - into a plastic bag and into the bin, put some fresh compost on the top and planted my seeds. Next, I cut a piece of fruit-netting from a roll I've had in the garage for about 10 years, and put it over the top of the box and over the sides to the underneath. Problem solved, no more cat loo, no chance of the birds scattering the soil (and my seeds) as they peck for worms and still a good relationship with my little feline friend.

Flashy, if you haven't anything that will cover your tubs until your seeds have grown, try pushing sticks (bamboo canes, twigs, anything) into the compost, leaving about 6" above the surface. This may deter them - or, more likely, it - I bet it's one puss who regards your garden as its own.