View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 12:08   #11
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: The Coppice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post
[quote

Actually the Pals did dig trenches locally.

This is from page 8 of the Accrington Gazette of 16th January 1915: "Whilst having a walk over the rough moorland at Moleside one day this week the writer was agreeably surprised by the sight of two or three companies of the 'Pals' engaged in trench digging."
I see your spy has alerted you to the thread.

Do you mean the attached piece of toilet paper.
Everyone keeps on about the Coppice and this clown is on Moleside. Which is it going to be.

Firstly the weather was bad in January 1915.
The pals had just been kitted out with their new uniforms and equipment.
Two or three companies, there are 250 men to a company, so he talking in excess of 500 men.
Another load of bull, their not going to be allowed to ruin new uniforms, and where did all the picks and shovels come from, even Bridges Ironmongers would'nt have enough stock, nor would Harwood have the cash to buy them. Another thing, apart from A & B companies C & D companies had never met, nor had all the companies ever trained together. Also recruiting was still taking place for E Company.
Then the so called reporter goes on about men in training at Southport not having rifles, he's doing a lot of flitting about, First he's on about Moleside (whats he doing up there) next he's interviewing a man stationed in Southport.
I suppose all this twaddle sells newspapers, and the old reporters motto never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

Reads like one of Ainsworth's fictonal tales.

I don't believe in the tale that the moon is made of green cheese, do you.
Father Christmas is a myth as well.

Another of your clangers Tom Catterall never had the number 65599 that is crossed out, do your job properly.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0011.JPG (142.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-04-2009 at 12:17.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote