Thread: The Coppice
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 17:40   #35
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: The Coppice

[Maybe some people don't understand search criteria on the web - it can get confusing. Maybe when they look at some websites the amount of info is so confusing they just don't understand what they need to do.
--------------
Thats just it WEB sites, every body rushing to have a website, no matter whether the info is correct or not.
I've seen a lot of tripe about WW1 on the web.

If you are able to help those who can't do it by themselves then I think you should seriously think about doing so.
----------------
I have helped a great many people find their long lost father or grandfather who served in WW1, with a lot more info than be found on any website.
------------------
then I think it is very small-minded and selfish of you.
If, like you say, the information is already out there then you are indeed to be commended for your efforts and I, for one, would be one of the first to do so.
-------------------
Not small minded or selfish, as the many people who I have helped can attest. More like bloody minded and determined not to be ripped of.

To give you an example, when I was doing research on old place names, village names and trades, I was in contact with a society in America, one of them was interested in the old trades I had collected, they asked for a copy and gave assurance it would be for personal use only, guess what, within 6 months it was on the web, under some one elses name, I know its mine, because of the 2 deliberate mistakes I included, that same list is now on several websites, and still has the deliberate mistakes in it, so it proves to me there are rip off merchants around, who are not prepared to do their own reseach
---------------
There are a hell of a lot of people who would love to be able to do this type of thing but cannot do so for innumerable reasons.

I have already stated that I personally think your attitude to destroy the work is wrong and seriously hope you have a change of heart. The subject matter is surely the one that should make you see that life is too short for vendetta's. They lead to Wars....[/quote]
-------------------
I'm already well past my 3 score and 10.

The is no vendetta, just me, being determined that the 10 years of what I do for a hobby, is not ripped off for some others to gain kudos, with very little effort.

Would you spend hours in Accrington library photographing all the original WW1 newspapers for Accrington, Burnley and Chorley, running them thro a photo enhancement program, then give it all away to clowns.
Then spend 100's of hours adding the info to databases, of which there are the names of over 14000 men and women from Greater Accrington, plus over 3000 thumb nail pictures of them.
I've also aquired the service records of over 520 men and only just started on C's

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote