Thread: The Coppice
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 18:31   #37
churchman phil

Re: The Coppice

Quote:
(churchmanphil said) Maybe some people don't understand search criteria on the web - it can get confusing. Maybe when they look at some websites the amount of info is so confusing they just don't understand what they need to do.
--------------
(retlaw said) Thats just it WEB sites, every body rushing to have a website, no matter whether the info is correct or not.
I've seen a lot of tripe about WW1 on the web.
Ok. Maybe I should have put websites like the CWGC and other sites of that ilk. They are, after all, WEB sites.
I think you knew exactly what I meant but in your three score years and ten you are trying to justify your decision.

As for being 'ripped off'. There is always an element of risk in anything we do. If you are happy with the info you put out there then would you not be pleased someone sees fit to use it because it is accurate?? This then negates any need for you to be critical.
I also think if someone is going to 'rip off' your entire content then they would be very sad individuals. Don't forget - you have control over what you put out, including errors, so you don't need to put 'everything' on a site. YOU choose how much and what. If people want to know more about an individual then they can contact YOU.
I also cannot understand your comment 'give it all away to clowns' (and indeed think you are being blinkered by your disagreement with another local historian). Are the general public all clowns? I do resent being called a clown just because I have not been able to achieve something on the research scale you have. I am a complete beginner on the research trail, mainly for my family tree, and have indeed trawled through census' galore with my mum. Sites with info like you could provide would be invaluable to quite a few people out there. I doubt a lot of people scattered around this globe could manage to find their way to Accrington library, most have probably never heard of the place! But if one, just one, person finds that tantalising glimpse of their ancestor through the info you could provide in a WEBsite or by some other means - would that not make your efforts worthwhile??
I am sure there would be many more people interested in a site like that for lots of reasons and they would far outnumber the plagiarists of which you seem to be obsessed.

Last edited by churchman phil; 10-04-2009 at 18:31. Reason: text
churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote