View Single Post
Old 14-04-2009, 18:59   #10
mothernature

Talking Re: Government proposals to stop benefits for Alcoholics & Drug Addicts.

AA & Al-Anon are 2 charities that could guide the government in making a firm policy on treatment. Through research I know there are different types of Alcoholics & Drug Addicts. I also have the advantage of observing & talking to certain social groups claiming Alcoholism/Drug Addiction and receiving Incapacity Benefit/Income Support/Sickness Benefit. Might I also add the average amount they claim is £45.00 more than JSA, plus Housing & Council Tax Benefits. Why should this be? Their addictions have left them incapable of functioning properly until they have a drink/fix, yet people with genuine disablities are often unable to claim anything.
So folks, would it be fair to stop all alcoholic/drug addicts claiming Sickness type benefits in the first place? Should they just be able to claim JSA or it's equivalent and live on what the rest of the population is entitled to? Maybe we should make them do some community work as part of their rehabilitation and give them the chance to prove they can and do want to work.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote