Thread: Haggis
View Single Post
Old 21-04-2009, 16:49   #14
Taggy
Senior Member+

Re: Haggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
thats quite an interesting thing you said there...almost as if your were implying that 'cockburns' make the best to go for 'up there', now 'up there' as you put is quite a big big place and I am sure that there will be better haggis all over scotland ,
one place I wouldnt buy from is a farmfoods...seriously can anyone be that desperate for haggis to get it from there ? that would damage your pallet no end
for me and buying a haggis.. I would simply go the my local award winning butcher in scotland and buy one of his own recipe haggis...the thing is each award winning butcher thinks their haggis is the best so really you cant loose...it has to be a fresh haggis for me..not out a plastic pack or a freezer shop..and forget the whisky sauce...that can take away any spices that may be in the haggis..simply cook it as per or slice and grill...tasty stuff indeed but not to everyones liking..
Guess any food related issue is always going to be rather subjective. However Cockburns is certainly one of the best Haggis which you will eat, in my opinion, and also the opinion of many others who have tried it. Its won many awards and was indeed voted the Worlds First Champion Haggis.
Haggis, Black Pudding, White Pudding from Scottish Gourmet Food & Hampers, Mail Order, direct from the Highlands

Its even served up to the trenchermen of the Houses of Parliament!!! Wasted on most of them though!! Lol!!

Obviously there are many great versions of this delicacy, and if you have an award winning butcher close at hand who makes his own then chances are it will be a good un, however there are plenty of crap butchers around who make equally crap Haggis too, so unless you know the quality you are likely to get, for anyone trying Haggis for the first time, its good to be able to ask for a reliable producer so that you know what you are trying is of good quality, which is why ive drawn peoples attention to Cockburns of Dingwall. The ones you are more likely to be able to get on a regular basis "down here" in England are the likes of McSween. These are mass produced of course but are still a pretty good product, in fact my taste buds have been awakened by this thread, and ive bought one from Booths in St Annes today!! So i'll have that over the next day or so. I wont be having mine with Whisky Sauce either, its filling enough and tasty enough without much adornment. However Whisky Sauce is a traditional sauce accompanyment to Haggis, but you would'nt spoil the Haggis by drowning it in the sauce, just a small amount to go with it!

All in all, its a darn nice dish!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote