View Single Post
Old 24-04-2009, 00:18   #60
Eric
God Member

Re: What sort of bird is this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Eric..........I dont think the subject of livelyhood and fishing will go down well with the majority...........Fleetwood a fishing port, not too far from here are down to 8 inshore boats and 2 offshore trawlers...quotas from the EU restrict one boat to 500 Kilos of one species for one month.....this can be caught in one day....anything above that has to be dumped and cannot be landed.
You say thousands of Newfoundlanders are worried about their jobs... 50% of the boats in Fleetwood will be de-commisioned within twelve months....then there was five.
Dont believe all you read in the rags you support.
Newfoundland was built on the Grand Banks fishing ... and the outports still live off it ... I remember Fleetwood, even Knot End. The fishing grounds have been screwed over by over fishing ... I remember reading that Cabot told Henry Vll that the cod on the Grand Banks were so numerous that one could walk on them. No more. However, we are now policing our territorial waters more rigourosly. We even built a new class of warship, the "Kingston Class", which is specifically designed as a coastal defence ship, and is often used to warn off foreign fishing vessels that come into our territorial waters.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote