View Single Post
Old 22-07-2004, 03:46   #63
Bazf
Senior Member+

Re: East Lancashire decline

When I was a kid growing up in Accy, Woodnook then we moved to the council houses up springhill, I didnt really care much about Accy never thought if it was good or bad, did'nt have the money to worry about house prices or development all we worried about was if the buses were running on time so me mum could get to work and back.
When I left Accrington and people said where are you from and you said "Accrington" they would say "where?" and then you would explain about how close to Manchester, Liverpool or if they were a little brighter (ie not from the midlands) you could say Blackburn or Burnley(1st div) so they got the idea.
As my family still live in Ossy, Accrington, Hapton and Burnley I used to return on a regular basis but the last time I returned it had been 5years and I was shocked at the changes.
Which is worse... for me Burnley has turned in to a getto, the market is a dump and the town center looks worse then a third world country and yes I have visted a few.
Accrington used to change constantly, when I was thinking about this thread I was mulling over the little things that have changed over the years in Accy, Church traffic lights, not being allowed to drive through the center, bottom of Burnley rd, a one way system that goes no where,(I heard the designer got savaged by his guide dog) The end of workingmens clubs.
I had a feeling years ago that Accrington really pi**ed off Maggie because when you look at most of the changes they started to occur after she took office.
Maybe a little scenario like
Maggie... "Well we have sorted out the miners how can we really P off the North"?
Dennis... "Why dont you tell your hench men to Scr*w with Accrington?"
Maggie.. "Where?"
Dennis.."Exactly"
My apologises to a certain milk advert.
So Accy wasnt as much a shock as I had expected, I always disliked Blackburn so the best way to look at it is through a Heinkel bomb site, besides from the station I can count the number of times Ive been to Preston on one hand.(4thdiv and maybe 2nd once)
By reading some answers to this question you may get the idea that if you havent lived through some of the changes you can't comment, or if you did you are looking through rose tinted glasses. As far as I am can see there has been no decline in the attitude of the people in Accy they would argue(as my mum would say) that black is blue and reds no colour and I mean that in the nicest way.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote