Thread: Council again..
View Single Post
Old 26-05-2009, 19:20   #101
Eric
God Member

Re: Council again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
It does anger me when this is thrown out at students Eric, and is simply not true from my experience. Most students do take out a job whilst studying. Can only go by my own son's record on this .... and try telling me it is not the real world. Sorry to bore you, but:

2 Years at McDonalds whilst doing A-levels. (health and safety certificate gained)
During the break before Uni ... very short period feeding the ovens at Hollands Pies, then working for a Newspaper Distributor.
Stock taking at the textile company I worked for and checking all dyed stock under a light meter for colour matches (boring)
1st year at Uni: Working in the student's bar and dealing with bouncers, rowdiness, etc. Also organising sports and social events for the students.
2nd/3rd year: Working at Blockbusters where they made him Manager for a year whilst he was searching for a job post-graduate before going back for his Masters in Planning.
Worked three days per week for a Planning Consultants whilst taking his Masters before they offered him an appointment on gaining this .. he is still there.. he is now 26, and all these jobs have taught him quite a bit of how to deal with people and varying situations !

Ok .. you don't have to read all this ... but 90% of his friends have this sort of history whilst studying.

My granddaughter worked in Ainsleys (bit like Greggs) from 16, now doing night shift at Sainsburys whilst stacking shelves and doing A-Levels.

Please do not tell me that students do not get experience in the 'real world' just gets up my nose.

Sorry.
Good to hear this ... I paid for my Ph. D. driving cab and tending bar ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote