Thread: Council again..
View Single Post
Old 26-05-2009, 21:39   #103
katex
Resting in Peace

Re: Council again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Sadly none of those part time jobs paid well enough to take me past my tax limit, which would have put me on a more equal footing with the rest of the income tax paying population.

That came later, when I was working full time, and paying all the associated costs and taxes of the 'real' world, unaided by the State in the form of subsidised educational grants etc.
No, most part time jobs don't take you onto a tax level Garinda, mainly because they are part time jobs at unsociable hours paying the lowest hourly rate. Students are very aware, however, of the tax exemption limit believe me; have it worked out to perfection.

Not sure what you mean re. the 'equal footing' though, this is nothing to do with tax or earnings, but the experience you have picked up earning a crust whilst studying at the same time.

As for costs, after the 1st year at Uni... students have to sort their own accommodation out sharing rent, council tax, tv licence, gas/fuel bills etc with other people .. no mean task working as a team with varying personalities attempting to keep bills to a minimum, outlining perimeters of usage.

Educational grants ? Hummph ... they are long gone ... just loans now of which students are aware they have to Pay the Piper eventually.

Sorry again for the thread wander ... just feel someone has to stick up for students against the view that some of the population have of them i.e. not having a valid opinion just because they feel they have no experience in a 'real working world'. If you wish to go out kids and get P1ssed in your free time ... you have earned it.

Overcooked me broccoli and cauliflower tonight 'cause had to get on me soapbox .....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote