Thread: Dr Ronald Hill
View Single Post
Old 13-06-2009, 07:23   #9
Barrie Yates
Senior Member+

Re: Dr Ronald Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
Ron Hill should definitely be recorded in Accrington's Hall of Fame. Not only was he a world class runner in his time, at school he was probably the best runner as well as getting 90+% in his exams (no, I didn't hate him...did I?). Sometimes I'd see him up Green Haworth when I was mooching around, running - presumably on his way back home. He's a few years older than I am but I do remember him at school and have a copy of the AGS photograph of 1957 with him on the front row and myself elsewhere amongst the also-rans, well some of us had to make up the numbers!!! Ron was featured in an article in The Daily Telegraph on 9 December 2006 - he was still running then. Jim Bowen also featured in The Daily telegraph, funnily enough on the day before Ron was featured. Jim also ran cross country for the Grammar School - perhaps not a lot of people know that.
Ron went to Springhill Junior School where we passed the 11+ at the same time. At AGS Ron was always A stream - i was B stream. We were great friends and spent a great deal of time in each others company - especially remembered are Bonfire Nights - we always had the fire in his back street.
Lost touch with him after he went to University.
I seem to remember that he held a World Record - 10 Mile perhaps, for a number of years.