View Single Post
Old 19-06-2009, 08:20   #7
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: currant cake or east lancs sad cake

Well, i have just seen this....the Google recipe certainly isn't sad cake.......there is no recipe for sad cake.
Sad cake is just a lancashire thrift thing......a way of using up the offcuts of pastry.

the offcuts are made into a ball and rolled out to the thickness of a pound coin........a mound of dried fruit(currants or raisins....but historically it was always currant)......you can add a teaspoon of sugar if you wish, but my grandma was too thrifty to use sugar in this way......brush the edges of the circle of pastry with water, and fold them over to envelope the fruit.......roll gently with a rolling pin, and then turn the flattened mix over and roll out evenly....this will distribute the fruit.......don't roll the cake out too thinly or the fruit will break through the pastry........brush the sad cake with milk and bake at gas mark 7(I don't know what this is in in temperatures....but it is whatever you would bake pastry at) until golden brown.......allow to cool (if you can)....then once cool spread with butter and make yourself a good cuppa and enjoy.
Hope that helps.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote