Thread: Sunday roast
View Single Post
Old 28-06-2009, 21:45   #24
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Sunday roast

Despite living with 2 non-meat eaters (younger daughter and granddaughter) I do enjoy a roast. No longer working I don't, necessarily, have it on a Sunday. Every now and then, though, I invite my older children over and make a good old fashioned Sunday Dinner, on a Sunday, following it up with, perhaps, an apple or rhubarb crumble made from home grown fruit or one of my famous rice puddings (thick, sweet, creamy and covered in a brown nutmeg "cartsheet".) I really love cooking.

I love lamb but I also like beef, which must be rare, and pork, which must be moist and have plenty of crackling. Chicken/turkey is OK if it's not too dry and all my meats must have plenty of gravy. I always do crisp roast potatoes, carrots which I caramelise for preference, with perhaps roast parsnips and a green veg - peas or cabbage (properly cooked cabbage is delicious) - or broccoli and often leeks in white sauce or cauliflower cheese. Chicken must have bread sauce and lamb must have mint sauce. Yorkshire puddings go with everything.

As it's sometimes a bit of a drag to make all that just for me - I cheat! Two country pub/restaurants within a mile of my house both do excellent carveries so I'm not averse to nipping to the Crown or the Manor for a delicious meal, very economically priced and someone else clears it away.