View Single Post
Old 16-07-2009, 19:11   #3
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Busk - a district in Ossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
A couple of months ago, I 'dipped my toe' into geneology briefly.
I have no intention of taking it up as a hobby - it was just a brief diversion.
I 'piggybacked' on the family trees of others at Genes reunited.

I did come accross an interesting fact, that my great great grandmother

Anne Grimshaw
born 1825 Busk Osw, married David Shorrocks

and was a daughter of -

Ellen Waddington (great great great grandmother)
born 1803 Blackburn, married James Grimshaw(butcher) 25/1/1825 Church Kirk, died 1870

It seems that this 'begatting' was taking place at a butchers shop in Ossy in an area named Busk.

As an Ossy lass born and bred I am aware that there was a street named Busk Meadow St, which was demolished in my lifetime and has been replaced with the 'council flats' between St Pauls school and Howarth St.

I also found an old Ossy map showing the area between St Pauls school and Howarth St, described as 'Busk'.
This is a section of Union Rd - It must have been a smallish group of buildings not to need any door numbers.
Am I right to assume that?

This was in the days before photography, but if anyone has seen old etchings/drawings of 'Busk' on the web, I would appreciate being told where.
Hi Margaret.
I have the parish registers for Church Kirk in this box of tricks dating back to 1600 up to 1800. There is a mention of a place called Busk Barn. You might find some thing on the maps on display at Ossy Mills, the same room as the Accrington Pals display.
Which line are you following Sinister or Distaff.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote