View Single Post
Old 16-07-2009, 19:34   #4
MargaretR
God Member

Re: Busk - a district in Ossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Hi Margaret.
I have the parish registers for Church Kirk in this box of tricks dating back to 1600 up to 1800. There is a mention of a place called Busk Barn. You might find some thing on the maps on display at Ossy Mills, the same room as the Accrington Pals display.
Which line are you following Sinister or Distaff.
Retlaw.
Sinister or Distaff
I think that means male (distaff) or female(sinister) - men do think of women as sinister don't they
I started to try to find out more about my maternal grandmother, and it just sort of went further back, looking at the females only.

I was quite pleased to find the connections with old Ossy, after finding out that my grandmother was born in Burnley

I have a problem with visiting Ossy Mills, because of the air being saturated with the scent of Yankee Candles.
I had an adverse health effect a few months ago when I went there to buy sausages. Sad really, because they were the best sausages I have ever tasted and they are far better than Prince Charlie's junk food sausages from Sainsburys.

So a visit to Ossy Mills just isn't on my itinerary.
I am hoping that someone else has found Busk in their geneology and has found out more.
I confess that I lack the incentive to do my own research.

Your reference to 'Busk Barn' stirs images of a rural setting - nice.
Maybe the butchers then did their own slaughtering on the premises.
Thank you for responding.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote