View Single Post
Old 29-07-2009, 23:51   #24
Eric
God Member

Re: Banned, the police Union Flag badge that backs our troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
And, as an aside, Queen's has joined a long list of Universities offering free university education to any children of fallen soldiers .... shlt, it's the least they can do. And many local businesses give discounts to members of the military."
Some years ago I suggested that people leaving the armed forces should be offered a chance to go to University or vocational training of their choice as a "Thank You"
"Academics and politicians have been saying it for decades now - that the GI Bill of Rights, signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt 65 years ago this month, is perhaps the most important, the most far-reaching piece of legislation the U.S. Congress ever approved."
Thanks to
GI Bill ticket to American Dream | Cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com
There have been things like the GI Bill in England ... particularly after the First World War .... remember reading something about it in Robert Graves, "Goodbye to All That." Have to do a little research on that one ... maybe demain. I do know that after WWl, returning veterans could get a quarter section of farmland for nothing in Western Canada ... a lot of today's farms out there still have this veterans' 160 acres at their core ... but I would like to see something on the line of the GI Bill in this country, for the vets of Afghanistan. Oooops ... wandering off topic.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote