View Single Post
Old 31-07-2009, 07:20   #38
Wynonie Harris
Super Moderator

Re: Banned, the police Union Flag badge that backs our troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
You're obviously missing my point completely and twisting my words to make it look like I would not support our soldiers in anyway .. which is totally untrue. Sure any of our soldiers who have to lick and polish their boots so that they can see their reflection, will understand completely what I was trying to say.

Just that discipline starts at small beginnings to carry on to emerge into a competent, efficient and well-disciplined soldier, giving them the best chance of survival in action .. again that is why we have the best armed forces.
No, your missing MY point. I agree that it wouldn't be right for police personnel to wear badges supporting political parties, religious groups, or any other organisation from the Freemasons to the Elvis Presley Fan Club. However, we're talking here about a badge containing two elements which transcend mere divisions of politics, religion, beliefs or taste - two elements which are woven into the very fabric of our national life. Firstly, our national flag, which I've seen serving soldiers wearing on their uniforms as woven patches anyway. And secondly a gesture of support for those who put their lives on the line to protect us - not support for individual wars - but support for the defenders of our nation as a whole. As Gary says, a precedent has already been established for this by policemen wearing poppies.

As for whether soldiers would understand your point of view, I couldn't really say. However, faced with a choice between small-minded, petty pedantry and a gesture of support from the folks back home, I can hazard a guess...

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 31-07-2009 at 07:29.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote