View Single Post
Old 31-07-2009, 17:29   #20
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: Neighbourhood Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I don't know if I this helps or not but from what I understand this is what's happened....

Neighbourhead Management was set up some years ago and managed by the Council in five wards - the deprived ones from what I understand - with a chunk of funding.

Each area, plus all the other areas in the borough, have had Area Councils. Or, in the case of Peel and Barnfield, a seperate body which was set up by residents. In many areas across the borough these weren't being well attended.

Now, every area will have a Neighbourhood Management board. In areas where there was already an established Neighbourhood Management board nothing will change. In areas where there is an Area Council i.e. Ossy, it will change to being a Neighbourhood Management board. In Ossy, very little will change because we have mostly Conservative Councillors and it's really just a change of name.

Sort of. Area Council's were political (always defending the Council/promoting the Council) and failing. Attendances dropped to around 3 in P&B and as low in other areas. Out of Accy they were more successful. They catered for small things in areas with little problems.

In Accy they failed because they promised a lot and did little. So residents across Accy set up NM to a different job. Not to spend Council money (they all had no budget) but to make sure the money that was being spent was spent better and 2. Talk about strategic issues rather than park benches. Residents could join, they just had to commit to being there at every meeting (as issues progressed from meeting to meeting).

NM included the public and the public could chair the meetings. At this moment in time I think none are chaired by Councillors (except the new Council one in Rishton).

No more long Council presentations. No more long discussions about spending £25 in the local park. Instead Landlord Licesning, Street Ambassodors, Visual Blight, Street Audits, hi tec CCTV cameras to loan +++ Community hubs and offices with helpful staff.

And with this success comes the Council looking to steal it all back under their umbrella.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote