View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 15:53   #64
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Howarth Art gallery

After a little reccy this weekend, taking into account what's currently on display, and what's been exhibited in the past, I reckon the commercial value of the paintings and drawings alone at the Haworth is worth well over £5 million.

That doesn't take into account the priceless Tiffany glass, although even that will have a massive commercial price tag.

This collection, along with the house and grounds, was bequeathed to the townsfolk of Accrington.

Hyndburn Borough Council are the custodians of the collection, and it certainly is the jewel in the area's crown.

Ownership must not be sold on to Preston based Lancashire County Council, and hopefully there'll be enough covenants concerned with the trust's charitable status, and associated red tape, to prevent the collection falling out of local control.

When whichever nincompoop that came up with this idea, is buried six feet under the sod, there's no guarantee that in the future the collection won't leave Accrington forever, and end up in some dusty corner of the Harris Museum in Preston, with the excuse that it's more cost effective.

As well as Accrington Stanley, the Nori brick, and textiles, Accrington's unique association with world famous Tiffany glass must be preserved by keeping control of it within the borough itself.

Call me cynical old git, but I think it's highly suspicious that the leader of the borough council has recently got his finger in another pie as well, that pie being L.C.C.

H.B.C. are the custodians of this collection, and I, and I presume many others, will fight tooth and nail to keep control of it here in Hyndburn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote