View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 22:10   #37
Wynonie Harris
Super Moderator

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

1st pint - when I was 16, I had to do a geographical survey of Sabden for my A level, along with another classmate who was a bit more worldly wise than me. He insisted that we go in the Pendle Witch for a pint and I'll never forget the scene that greeted us - the roaring fire, the gleaming brass beer pumps, the friendly smiling landlord waiting to serve us, the warm glow of the bar on a late winter afternoon and when I lifted that glass of foaming nectar to my lips...that was it, I loved it and I knew then that I would be spending a lot of my future life in places like this.

First local...three actually -
1) Evenings out with the lads - the Derby - home to a whole host of weird and wonderful characters in the late 60's, as Cashy will testify!
2) Lunchtime - the Globe - most ably run by Doreen Dunn who was always happy to serve a young gentleman in an Accrington Grammar School uniform!
3) With the old fella - the Stop & Rest, where I had the privilege of standing in the "Deep End" with another bunch of equally fascinating characters, all of whom Jaysay knows!

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 09-08-2009 at 22:15.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote