View Single Post
Old 21-08-2009, 18:00   #1
Stumped
Full Member+

English Electric Company (Clayton-le-moors).

Having perused the Howard & Bulloughs thread, which I found really interesting as my father worked there in the 1940's after demob from the RAF, I got to reminscing about the English Electric Company at Clayton-le-moors, which was another major employer in the area until the gradual demise of heavy engineering following cancellation of the TSR2 program. I served an apprenticeship there from 1956 and ultimately worked as a machine tool fitter on the MTO section until I left at the age of 24 to take up employment elsewhere. Sam Rawlins was superintendent, Joe Bernie and Frank ? the foremen, with Ken Cottam as chargehand. I trained and worked alongside many wonderfully talented people: Jack Blackwell, Jack Dixon, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Slater, Dave keeley, Malcolm Brooks, Pete Danson, Pete Alexander, Jim Parker, Joe Baron and so many others whose names elude me at the time of writing. My days at English Electric rank among the happiest times of my life when the work ethic seemed so much stronger than it is today.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web