Thread: Landlords
View Single Post
Old 22-08-2009, 19:40   #147
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Well this is why I would like Graham to explain exactly what it is he means. For example I fail to see how taxing good landlords more is going to improve the situation. All it will do is force rents up.
Qualification for 50% Council Tax discount by Landlords is based on 6 months empty. So how will that force up rents when they are empty??

The average private sector for the last few years has been £95pw, HA £85pw, Hyndburn Homes £65pw. Clearly to lower rents provision of rented housing has to come from the local authority.

Quote:
We should be tackling bad landlords hard and I'm genuinely interested in hearing about it if Graham has proposed tackling them specifically and the local Tories have opposed it.
I think there are a lot of things that not being done or done poorly. All the policies have come from Labour which is a worry.

Landlord Licensing has taken 3 years. It still seems a low priority. All the work has been done by Accent/Labour/Neighbourhood Management. 4 years to implement is too long.

Ending the 50% Council Tax discount on empty properties. Labour proposed to end it and charge full 100%. Policy voted down by (all) Conservatives.

Like Landlord Licensing Labour Councillors have been and seen what Mets like Salford and Manchester are doing as well as exemplar authorities like Rochdale. The proposals three years ago were (childishly) booed down in Full Council. However constant pressure has got us to move slowly forward. Eg Boarded up houses are illegal.

We have proposed a Good tenant Scheme - this has been rejected.

In Peel & Barnfield I have a Home Front Scheme open to Landlords (all houses actually) to improve the frontages of their properties.

Quote:
It would be wrong to blindly follow either side without the full facts. Certainly don't think it's childish to inquire, think it's pretty healthy debate to have all the cards on show.
We have not had one single policy from the Council to help the situation. The wider housing policy, no more social housing, reliance on the private sector, allowing white flight estates to grow, oversupplying housing.

Their is blindness. We are trying. The Council has a different view. Common ground is slow. Rachman conditions will continue with either a Conservative Council OR the current lets all work together because one side is not pulling it's weight.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote