View Single Post
Old 28-08-2009, 16:17   #82
claytonender

Re: who is this Daniel Hannan guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Back in the 90's, my parents' Labor MP told me that it did not matter which party was elected to office, there would never be enough money for the NHS. This is the reality you must face. Once the consumer of medical services is replaced by a sclerotic government bureaucracy, it doesn't take too long for things to become skewed. My parents were supporters of the NHS.....just wanted it to be "fixed." They were doomed to disappointment.
Can you explain why there are so many citizens of the US that have difficulty accessing the health service in the US because they can not afford to pay for medical insurance. It has been mentioned earlier in this thread that the NHS (despite it not being perfect) is accessible to all the UK citizens irrespective of their ability to pay for the service. My husband has a medical condition for which their is no cure -if it was untreated it would be life threatening, but he receives an excellent service from the NHS. I am certain if he had to purchase medical insurance the costs would be prohibitive and he would likely not be able to receive the medical treatment and prescription drugs he needs to take every day to control the condition, because we could not afford the fees. He has been working (and paying tax) since he was 15 so he is helping to pay for his treatment.

I am very happy that the NHS is free at the point of delivery and paid for by our taxes.

Maybe you are forgetting the all basis of our Welfare State is - from each according to his means to each according to his needs.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote