View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 22:31   #8
Doug
Member.

Re: Accrington Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its a good thing IMHO that people like Less n MargaretP are interested enough to ask, me dad took me everywhere home/away with the owd stanley until its demise in 62, i was then one very upset teenager, Accrington no longer had a club, so i went to the rovers, was a season ticket holder fer nearly 30 yrs, my dad sadly never watched another live game after stanleys demise, he was always convinced they would never be allowed back into the football league, due to being unable to complete there full fixtures back in 62, despite being a rovers fan fer all those years when Stanley returned to the league i started drifting back, now i'm a season ticket holder at stanley fer the 1 st time in my life, end of the day its my TOWN, from having a bar in spain i know fer fact Accy Stanley is held in affection from many many areas in britain, maybe thats the milk ad? maybe the 62 demise? maybe cos they are a "Founder Member" of the football league? who knows the reason? what i do know as others have said our home town club must NOT be allowed to die again. and will do all i can to help em survive, n hope enough folk feel the same, also they have started a great scheme fer the kids this season, would be a crying shame if that went.

Hardly Eloquent Cashy but spoken from the heart. Many of the Stanley faithful old guard where deeply hurt by the cold and callous events of 62, I’ve told before of how it effected my Grandfather who in 65 pushed his 5 year old grandson from his knee and said, “we don’t talk of such things in this house” My grandmother rebounded on him and said “Don’t be like that Tommy, he isn’t to know” I had never seen this big hearted man so hurt as he was that day. It came about due to two Stanley players that came to Church Kirk School to talk about the resurgent Stanley, One was a Goalie, the other a forward…who they where I never remember, but I became a Stanley fan that day. Of my grandfather, he died of Cancer in 69 never seen his beloved Stanley flourish….but he knows were back, and he knows we’re staying.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 06-09-2009 at 22:34.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote