View Single Post
Old 02-08-2004, 07:58   #117
Ceejache

Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

I agree wholeheartedly, especially when they have destroyed something that has stood in the area for years and has been central in many community events and gatherings.

I too don't buy into this 'understand them, nothing else to do' crap. When I was an adolescent about 12-15 yrs ago there was as much "nowt to do..." but I dont recall ever resorting to anything near arson or causing a nuisance for kicks. The problem is nothing particularly new and kids should be allowed to get away with causing a bit of mischief - its part of growing up and I remember getting chased off the cops, caretakers and residents for mucking about, but the thing is we ran because we knew if we were caught it was our parents who we were more afraid of, a lot of kids dont fear any form of authority. Saying this consciencious and decent teenagers are rarely involved in these sort of activities, it the idiots who are pains when sober. The parents should share the blame too, I really cant see what good a kid is doing on the streets after 10pm - out of sight, out of mind though isn't it. Enforcing a curfew would be a drain on already stretched police resources and may seem a bit draconian, but it would certainly have an effect.