View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 05:01   #382
Eric
God Member

Re: Multiculteral Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
there's no denying that Eric.. but this thread was started asking if multiculteral Britian was possible...my answer is that it has to be possible or what does this country turn into?..there are very few nations or countries that have only one culture and in my opinion they are fascist states..Iran and China spring to mind.
I don't think I can accept that Iran and China are unicultural and monolithic ..... seems to me that was thought of the Soviet Union just before it disintegrated. But that's another argument.

But it does seem to me .... with the wisdom, perspective and safety that thousands of kms confer .... that the UK is reaching a crisis point over the issue that we are discussing, what Asimov would have called a Seldon crisis. It's a situation that can't be allowed to proceed unchecked. I'm not suggesting a return to the golden age of George Formby and Guy Gibson, nor that the doors be slammed shut ... just, maybe, that there is someone at the doors controlling who gets in. That's simple. What is difficult is arriving at a consensus of what should be the rules for entry. Over here, it is "do you have the skills that we need; and will you be able to support you and your family." Skin colour and religion don't enter into it. We still have, of course, our racists and our bigots; but they aren't the ones holding the doors.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote