View Single Post
Old 06-08-2004, 21:42   #147
Busman747
Always EVIL within us

Unhappy Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

Willow and Kipax,
I can see both your differing points of view and depending on your circumstances, you could both be right. At my school, the ultimate threat was to be sent to the "Headmaster" who would inflict punishment via the cane.

There was no "badge of honour" for those sent to the Headmaster and in fact, the pain of the cane was far less than the humiliation of knowing that your friends knew where you had been and why! In my day (god, am I THAT old?) it was understood that if a student "crossed the line" he or she would have the ultimate punishment ...and worse still, your parents would be informed!!! This kept "most" children on the straight and narrow! My worst demeanour as a child was "Scrumping!" I don't know if you use the same word Ooop north, but it means knicking fruit from trees belonging to someone else! But within my school, there was a hardcore (3 - 4,) of children that did not have the mental capacity to become part of the community. These children were outcasts amonst their own rather than heroes!

BUT..... There were a few schools, many have now been exposed, where the "teachers" were being "turned on" by inflicting punishment to children and Kipax, it sounds as if you were in one of those, where children were being punished for the slightest reason.

Unfortunately, instead of inspecting the actions of individual teachers, the "PC Brigade" brought in sweeping measures to protect children and in doing so, brought down the authority of teachers and parents alike!

The end result is that children of 8 or 9 "know their rights" and are aware that they cannot be punished by either teachers or parents. In America (and soon in this country) despite being juvenile, they can start court proceedings against their own parents if they have a hand raised against them..............and then they go out and mug a pensioner!!!

They say history repeats itself, but in this instance, there is no going back, We have to live with teenagers that have no respect for the rights of individuals and have no consciounse (come on Roy, how about that "spellcheck?) until they reach their 20's and want to settle down to a peaceful life .........and find that teenagers (as they were) are causing mayhem and causing aggro!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote