View Single Post
Old 18-10-2009, 07:38   #22
yonmon
Senior Member+

Re: Another WISH LIST !!!

What a strange time and place to challenge one's 'Grammatical Integrity' Mr Morton ! (ooops! there goes the first one ! ), After reading this alarming admonition, I can only assume that like myself you find some pleasure in recognising where a fellow postee has made an honest attempt to garner the attention of those reading his words in a manner which not only makes the Post interesting to read, but also emphasizes a situation in a way that will hopefully draw some response (either in concurrence with his point- of- view, or made in a more critical vein!).

In my defence I can only say that I generally and genuinely attempt to follow Grammatical Rules when I make one of my occasional visits to our Forum, in the case of 'Exclamation Marks and their usage'...the two I remember are very simple..(Not wishing to overdo it you see!)...

1. Expressions of strong emotion do call for the exclamation mark to be used!..: (as Marmion's last words in Sir Walter Scott's epic work 'Marmion' demand... "Charge, Chester, charge! "On, Stanley, on!"(From which line I suppose our Club's famous Battle-Cry could have had had it's origin ?, a romantic thought !)

and 2)...When the emotion is very strong double exclamation points may be used: "Assist him!! I would rather assist Satan!!" (No allusion to any person at Accrington Stanley intended!).

Two points then Mr Morton which might persuade you to forgive any over-use of this powerful 'tool' in the writer's armoury..
Firstly. My emotions ARE usually very strong when I write about many of the situations which excite most of the users of our Forum...

and secondly, I am, in my dotage, and usually charged up with 'Absolut' Vodka, inclined to get over-excited, and some would say a little verbose ?,
in my attempts to provide interesting variations on the more intensely serious themes pursued by other friends on the Forum.

However,I take your point...!!!!.

'ON STANLEY !...ON !........TO GREATER THINGS !'.

Last edited by yonmon; 18-10-2009 at 07:42.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote