View Single Post
Old 18-10-2009, 21:51   #61
katex
Resting in Peace

Re: Eastgate Roundabout Annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
i was always taught - by several people including my advanced driving instructor at the time, that if you come up to a roundabout and want to turn left (or any other turning up to and including the one at a 12 oclock position) then you use the left lane - but anything after the 12 oclock position relative to where you are (and at the eastgate roundabout asda exit is actually at about the 1 oclock position)then you use the right lane and indicate and move left immediately after passing the exit before - which i believe is marked originally as your 'red lane'? the highway code book which someone showed the illustration from earlier is correct for a road that goes straight on from your relative position - whereas the asda turn off isnt in this case. I always go to the inside lane and then the left lane and most people around me seem to as well

Of course Lynn, your advice was correct, however this turn off is not beyond 12 o'clock. Ok. I used geometry of under 180 degrees to explain this point ... same difference .. but get out your set square and tell me that this is not under 180 degrees or before 12 o'clock.

Viaduct roundabout.jpg

What your advisors failed to tell you was that there are many busy marked roundabouts around the UK that are exceptions to this rule due to consideration of, heavy or not, inflowing traffic from the left.

Last edited by katex; 18-10-2009 at 21:55.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web