View Single Post
Old 31-10-2009, 09:42   #27
jenibrindle

Re: Alternatives to Halloween in Accy?

Oh dear, I was worried this thread might go astray.

Just want to stress that my kids are frightened by the scary monsters and creatures that knock on my door at night (all three are under seven years old). However, they are boys and are fascinated by all things scary/spooky in the light of day.

I am a Christian and attend a church in Blackburn. I have previously answered the door to trick or treaters and given out a lolly attached to a Christian themed sticker/rubber/pencil sharpener. These children that call do not mean any harm and I don't believe that they are practising witchcraft. Akso, what a perfect witnessing opportunity. They're calling at my home - why should I hide from them?

I haven't actually found a Christian friend who can tell me why some Christians do not participate in (can't use the word celebrate) Halloween. No, I do not like the references to devils and evil spirits as I do believe that these are very real things and I shouldn't be encouraging my kids to dress up as them and make it "fun".

However, I just find it all nonsense. Every year it gets worse. I don't think anyone should disturb anyone else at home without their prior permission - and I include Christian door-knockers in that as well as my church, the Salvation Army, that drop envelopes once a year.

What I'm trying to say is each to their own. I'm not judging those that do it (I know Christians that do), in my house we just don't and want to reduce exposure to it.

May just take them out to see a movie at cinema or perhaps get a "no trick or treaters" sign.

Here endeth the lesson. Bless you.
jenibrindle is offline   Reply With Quote