Thread: The Coronation
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 14:20   #4
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: The Coronation

Every house was decorated with bunting, crowns, banners. About 40 people were squeezed into our house to watch it on TV but my mother said I had to join the local "procession". All us West End children had to meet up at the dairy and were given paper flags to wave. We then had to walk down the middle of Blackburn Road, waving the flags - no band or anything, just the sound of shuffling feet - to St Thomas's church opposite our house. There was a tea party in the church.

I was 10 years old and did not want to be part of it, especially as it was drizzling, and walked with a sullen face and a trailing flag. My mother said I had to join in because she had contributed food. Once in the church hall I think I had 1 sandwich then bolted home.

To be honest, though, the coronation service on TV was very boring; it went on all day, was in black and white and could only be seen at a size of about 9 inches across a room thick with cigarette smoke. I really had wanted to be off with the dog somewhere.