Thread: Playing Out
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 23:35   #18
Judith Addison

Re: Playing Out

Playing out was all the rage in the 1950s. You couldn't wait to gobble your tea down and call for your friends. On Catlow Hall Street, Oswaldtwistle, a big group of us used to play out, children/young people aged from about 2 to 14 - skipping with the big rope, etc. When I was about 9 I used to play with a few girls - all sorts of games - "May I", "Mary, Mary, may I cross your golden water", "What time is it Mr. Wolf?" We used to play "Tracking" by chalking arrows on the pavement for others to follow. Of course you could go in Rhyddings Park and play on the swings, "death plank", roundabout, umbrella and slide. At Hippings Methodist School we used to play games in the school yard, e.g. "The big ship sails through the alley-alley-o". On May Day we used to dance round the May Pole in the school yard. Girls wore their best dresses - it always seemed to be nice weather. The younger children danced round to "Dancing round the May Pole, merrily we go". The older children did a more complicated dance to "Come lasses and lads" - somehow the ribbons ended up plaited, if you got it right! We used to play ball games in Hippings Methodist school yard, but woe betide you if the ball went over Mr. Whalley's back yard wall (school caretaker)! In the church yard we used to look at the "moving statue". There were always crazes for different games - yoyos, hula hoops, etc. Every year we had a bulb show and had to grow hyacinths or daffodils for an exhibition in Ossy Town Hall. At Christmas we had a great time - Monday was school concert, Tuesday was party (with green jelly), Wednesday was carol service in the old chapel - remember Mr. Chapman and Mr. Sanderson, the Methodist ministers? On 24th May we celebrated Empire Day. One of the "big girls" dressed as Britannia.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote