View Single Post
Old 14-11-2009, 09:00   #23
Studio25

Re: Driving rules that people seem to have forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Giving way to the right at roundabouts
OMG, if you have no one to your right and there is a car at the junction on your left, you have right of way! Don't let them go first, it's your turn!!!
You wouldn't believe how many people approaching from my right stop to allow me to pull out at the mini roundabout outside our house. They are designed so everyone knows who has right of way, and other drivers think they are being helpful when they are actually slowing everyone down. I'm not moving off if there's a risk of a collision where I'll be the one in the wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It is easier for the car going up hill to stop, gravity is on the cars side
Never thought about it that way Neil .. still your brakes should always be in tip top condition I was always taught to give way to drivers coming up a hill too ... just out of courtesy...
It's better for the environment if you give way to people coming uphill. The one moving downhill have gravity to help them move off, while those doing the hill start has to use more fuel to fight it.

I tend to give way to buses either way, just because it will be more comfortable for the passengers than the stop/start - plus (along with trucks) the fuel they use to move off downhill is probably more than I use to move off uphill.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote