View Single Post
Old 20-11-2009, 20:19   #55
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Pubs in old & new acc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Without commenting on whether Walter is right or wrong as to the wherabouts of pubs, I do feel that he is being childish in first of all setting these questions in a way which suggests "I know but won't tell you" Don't talk daft when have I refused to answer a query, its just as nobody seem to have the nous to ask the right questions.

He has had ample opportunity on the forum in the past few years of giving a complete list of pubs and their locations , but has chosen not to, keeping the information for himself.
I do this research because I want to, not for any gain or kudos, publishing, printing or posting to the web would be expensive.
The computer where all this info is stored is not connected to the internet, and never will be, that way it can't be contaminated, as for printing it out and putting it in the library, that would take about 5 reams of paper, yes 5 reams. any way if its not believed on Accy web, would putting it in Accy Library make it any more credible.

He has an extensive knowledge of old Accrington but in the main, keeps it to himself.
You know dammed well I'm a loner, always have been, and don't know many people with the same interests as myself.

I have to say that whenever I have asked him a question, he has come up with an answer from his secret files but often gives the impression that he knows and nobody else knows owt.
I do know, and any impression that nobody else knows owt has shown itself by the responces on Accy Web, there's only a handful seem to know owt or even interested.
I feel annoyed too with his treatment of and attitude towards other members ,though I know that he can be civil and decent too. I felt really bad towards him when he posted four words which when read 'last-first' were not the language that decent people, especially ladies, want to read/hear on the site. I am annoyed with myself that I did not ask the webmaster to remove the posting.

Walter - prepare a full list of pubs & locations, post it on this site and give a copy to the library for the use of future readers. So every one has a free copy to wave about like Chamberlain's Peace in our time. It WON'T WORK in windoze, only in DOS, some people have never even heard of DOS.

Your list of farmsteads which is in the library is an example of the good work you do. It will be a memorial to you. Without it, Accrington's pub&club history will go largely unrecorded.
As I've already said, it is in another computer and that one runs under DOS, not windoze, and the DOS files get scrambled if you try to transfer them to any modern word processor, even as RTF files,
then why should I, I'm quite happy with the way the files are.
I've enough work to do continuing Bill Turner's research on the Accrington Pals, and my on research into Accrington's WW1 soldiers, for all this hassle.
So lets forget all the puzzles and questions and let me get on with what I'm doing.

Retlaw.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote