View Single Post
Old 21-11-2009, 08:35   #13
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Would you call this art?

I've obviously offended you, which wasn't my intention at all. I sincerely apologise.

Your consultant will probably use the word 'fit' to you, because you do indeed suffer from fits, but, not all people who have epileptic seizures have fits..I was trying to point out in my clumsy way that as a sufferer you should be helping to raise awareness of this distinction.

The reason we no longer use the two categories, grand and petit mal,is nothing to do with acceptability, it is because they are not descriptive enough to explain exactly what kind of seizures the sufferer has, as we have both pointed out there are far more than two classifications of seizure.

Being epileptic does not make you stupid, nor does it mean you have a mental health problem, it is not a disability (though sufferers are protected by the disability discrimination act)... it is a medical condition, just like angina or MS are medical conditions.

I think what the dancer is trying to do is heighten the awareness of epilepsy by showing that epileptics are 'normal' people who can do 'normal' things, have a seizure, (and i'm guessing in the dancers case it will entail going into a fit), recover and go about their daily business.

Is it art? Who can say, is a pile of bricks art?
Is it dangerous? Unlikely, she does not intend to do 3 performances a day for a 13 week run, and medical aid is close by.

But she has already started raising awareness since it merits a BBC webpage and a discussion here.

Once again I apologise for any offence