View Single Post
Old 25-11-2009, 19:15   #244
Tealeaf
God Member

Re: Potential Labour Candidate for Hyndburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
On Tealeafs point, I live in a terraced house so clear problems there constructing a moat. LOL

on expenses. Neil your right. However before it became a hot potato many Councillor could not be bothered to claim as it was not why they do/did it. In the MPs case I think that is more than enough compensation and taking another £4k and £11k is unneccessary. I think 64k for MP is enough. I accept for someone like me (works in factory on computers upstairs) it will be a lot but to Lord whoever it may not even
pay for his next Daimler or porch extension especially if he's from Buckinghamshire so it is relative. To me it's relative to the people in Hyndburn.
The trouble has been, Graham, that the majority of MP's have been claiming far more than £4-£11K...they 'maxed' out on claims by simply adding lump sum amounts for items such as food to whatever they were claiming on second mortages and house fittings up to an amount of £22K pa. All this in addition to items such as first class rail travel, putting family members on the payroll and receiving various payoffs under the guise of consultancy and retainer fees.

MP's are entitled to first class rail travel; an open return from Accy to London is just over four hundred quid. A reasonable one-bedroomed flat in central London will probably set you back a minimum of 300 quid per week. Now, it is not strictly neccessary to travel first class - the Preston/London journey is just over two hours - and by living slightly out you can probably cut your accommodation costs - so my point, once again, is if elected, would you be prepared to place your expenses in the public domain?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote