View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 17:10   #48
kestrelx
Senior Member+

Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

I read "Oranges..." and it was very good gave an insight to the girl I used to see regularly on the coppice walking a little Yorkshire Terrier, my brother Phil used to walk with her to School as he went to Accrington Grammer next to where she went and told stories about her being part of this strange Church where they healed people by faith and chanted etc. I tried to read her other Books but couldn't get into them.

I can understand how she feels about Accrington back in the 70's as I know the reaction we got when we got into punk rock, people didn't like it or get it, must have difficult to cope with her sexuality in Accy. However the book "Oranges..." does suggest her Mother was quite a positive influence on her, providing her with some challenges of life - she wasn't just slouching back on the couch bashing the bible supping holy water.

The link that has been posted to the Times article actually goes to a article dated; July 8th 2006, I don't know if they changed it?

Last time I came back to Accrington I did realise how it was positioned in quite a scenic position you get Pendle to the North, Whalley visible of the coppice it is a very green and pleasant area!

Nick Name a.k.a. Kestrel X

Last edited by kestrelx; 01-12-2009 at 17:14.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote