View Single Post
Old 22-12-2009, 17:13   #17
Eric
God Member

Re: This sums up our justice system to the full

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The problem is we have to put up with the Guardian reading human rights brigade Wynonie, which is a pain in itself. I have often said that the current law books should be piled high on the green out side parliament and put to the torch, and replaced by new laws tailored for the 21st century not the middle ages. We may not like a lot the Yanks do but in a lot of cases they get their sentencing right, if a criminal gets life in the states,it means life. I often laugh at sentences give here, when they say somebody is given a life sentence and must serve a minimum of 18 years, so why call it life, when it quite obviously isn't. I also think that the word concurrently be deleted from the law books, if you commit 4 crimes and get six months on each count, to me you get 2 years end of
Are you trying to say that the laws you have now are medieaval If this were the case, then you should be more than happy .... torture, whipping, burning at the stake ... oh, and let's not forget hanging, drawing and quartering, fun stuff And what would 21st century punishments be like: twenty years of watching the best of Oprah, over and over and over.? And you like the American attitude to punishment, yet fail to consider that they have a crime rate that you wouldn't really want: I mean, more murders in Detroit per annum than there are in the whole of the British Isles. I still don't see any advantage in sacrificing human rights, so that some scumbag can spend a few more years behind bars. There have to be other ways of dealing with the problem without going from one knee-jerk to another every time a particular nasty crime occurs. And I always notice in discussions like this one, that white collar crimes, and crimes against humanity like the US/UK unprovoked invasion of Iraq don't bring down the heat they deserve.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote