Old 16-08-2004, 06:06   #23
Acrylic-bob
God Member

Re: Once A CATHOLIC.

Busman 747 writes: >>I personally am an agonistic .....<<

Do we take him at his word? The trusty OED gives this definition:
agonistic.adj. polemical, combative. [from Greek agonostikos, related to AGONY]
or rather does he mean this:
agnostic, n. a person who believes that nothing is known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena [based on Greek gnosis 'knowledge']

It would be nice to know.

That being said, if Busman747 took the time and trouble to read all the posts in the thread he would see that I have taken care to point out that in contributing to this discussion I, in no way, seek to belittle or denigrate the faith which other people may hold dear. Nothing I have written is untrue or outside my own personal experience and I stand ready to defend every single word. True faith is a gem held within the heart that nothing can tarnish, least of all any mere words of mine.

As for banning any discussion, I would just like to point out that the experience of Catholicism informs a large part of the lives of the people of Accrington and District and has done so since before the Reformation. Placing an embargo on any discussion of the subject would hamper any attempt to understand the motives and social behaviour of a vast number of people, many of whom were instrumental in the development of the borough.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 16-08-2004 at 06:07.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote