View Single Post
Old 17-08-2004, 20:32   #34
Mickey_T_Fish
Junior Member+

Re: (SVEN)Its time to get rid.

Clearly the biggest problem we face is who to replace him with. I'd prefer an English manager, but have no problem with the guy provided the results are right.

The main problem with the team is twofold. First, David James is THE worst keeper England have had ever. He clearly is a decent shot stopper or he wouldn't be playing in the Premiership, but his organisation, his communication, and his positioning are dreadful. Kirkland and Robinson are clearly the way forward - Robinson should have played ahead of James in Euro 2004. I'm not saying he's the best keeper in the world, but he's certainly better than James.

Secondly, the reluntance of Premiership managers to let players play for their country. Sure we all understand they can't afford silly injuries picked up in non-competative games, but is donning the 3 lions not what every english player should crave more than anything? There is no way any player should ever make himself unavailable for an England game without a DAMN good reason. The right to wear that shirt is a privilege.

As far as the amount of money they get paid goes. David Beckham, in his final year at United, was on a basic wage of £90,000 a week. That's about 4 times what I earn in a year. Then you have his bonuses, image rights royalties, sponsorships, public appearances, etc, etc. It was estimated he earnt somewhere around £12.5 million. Yes it makes me spit, makes me sick to the stomach, but if I got offered that kind of money, you KNOW i'd be there.

The point is, you can't blame Sven for taking the money. Only Terry Venables would have come close to achieving what he did at Euro 2004, and i'm not sure even he would have given his stint at Leeds. When a viable alternative comes along (and I wouldn't be adverse to Martin O'Neil. I think he'd be fantastic) then we can start turning up the heat. Otherwise we'll be left with who? Howard Wilkinson? David Platt? Trevor Brooking? Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg gghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Mickey_T_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote