View Single Post
Old 15-01-2010, 18:20   #42
Gremlin
Senior Member+

Re: Crawshaw Street Accrington

I am a good mate of the Atkiman above and am glad I found this forum for us.
I came over to Accrington from Yorkshire in about 1966/7 and started to frequent the Horseshoe pub when I started work for Gilbraith Tankers and knew a few other drivers who used it.
Stan Hindle lived next door to the pub and he was a driver and a mate of mine, Phillomina lived next down and played the piano there ( she was never sober) Next down was came another drinking partner of mine and a driver called Ted Sharples, his son also came in.. Tommy Greenwood was another tankerman now deceased who drank there..Jack Leach, Big Fry and his dad John Seary thelist goes on but not my memory. I was in most nights when I was not away from home with the tanker and weekends most of the day, that's when I saw the blacksmith clogging the horses.

I used the 'shoe till it closed and then started to use the Royal on Meadow street or new Brewery tother end of Hood street where I lived.

I have a copy of the photo which Atkiman posted and was amazed when he gave it to me a while ago. It brought back somne happy memories, I met my present wife there over 40 years ago.

Gremlin. R.T.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote