View Single Post
Old 15-01-2010, 19:21   #29
Gremlin
Senior Member+

Re: Pie shops in Accy

I knew Billy Bowden very well when he had his shop on Warner street.
He had two sons Peter and Phillip. Phillip worked for Bill and Peter had his own pie shop at the bottom of Hood street. When I came to Accrington in 1966/7 I was a good mate of Peter and when he got banned from driving he asked me to work for him driving his car about and doing a bit in the shop making pies. The car was a Vauxhall Cresta reg number PBV 62. He should have kept the number when he changed his car it could read Peter Boden Vehicle.
Peter got all his pudding off Billy and Billy took some pies and bowls of peas from Peter.
Phillip used to come round every morning to deliver the puddings and pick up the pies and peas.
I ahd full use of Peter's car and also did a bit of repping for him trying to sell his pies to shops and pubs. He had a good selection of customers in Accrington, Burnley, Ossy and Church. I got a bit fed up and started work driving for Batty Holt tours Blackburn and then went to Gilbraith Tankers for 30 years till I retired in 1998.

The strange thing abouth the job is the fact that never ever in my life have I eaten meat fish or poultry as it makes me ill but I worked in a pie shop and even convinced potential customers that I had one every day, goodness knows what would have happened if they had asked me to try one.

Gremlin R.T.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote