Thread: Sunday Trading
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 10:59   #102
Ken Moss
Common Sense Member

Re: Sunday Trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
But they have already got the building, is it not a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face to leave units empty rather than lower the rent? It makes more sense to get some income surely?
That is entirely my point.

Garinda, I'm not disputing your facts as you've clearly looked into it in a reasonable amount of detail but you can prove anything with statistics if you really want to.

I come back to the Preston scenario and how run-down certain areas had become, someone who remembers it during the late 90s will hopefully back me up. The town centre ended up littered with empty and delapidated shops and took a fair bit of intervention from the council to get it back on track but far from being a failure it totally regenerated the area. Those who said that no one was spending on the high street anymore ended up with egg on their faces and it was shown to have brought people in from far and wide.

Accrington seemingly has a problem if there is a reluctance to invest but squeezing the businesses that are already there rather than having a full compliment of units at a lower rent doesn't make sound business sense to me. You need to adapt to the changing climate to survive, which I have had to do over the past two years. I lowered many of my charges at the onset of recession and as a result have never been busier, despite the economic situation.

Just to put you in the picture about the spare £80 that didn't seem to go down well with you, I am self-employed and work my nuts off seven days a week. It is a lifestyle choice I am very happy with and allows me occasional luxuries that I feel I would be unable to afford if I worked set hours for someone else. I do not believe in credit, loans or overdrafts and as a result I feel comfortable in allowing myself the odd shopping spree every few months so long as all the bills are paid. I would also far rather support local businesses than go to places like the Trafford Centre.

I would also beg you not to accuse me of 'spin'. You make me sound like Alistair Campbell or Max Clifford or someone equally vulgar.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote